Thursday, April 1, 2010

Down in the Count

Well, I started on Monday, but really started on Tuesday. Brandy did this bake off competition that only she was competing on Monday night. So when I came back from working out, she had baked rice krispy treats and a chocolate creme pie. I decided that the rice krispy treats were the best to take to work, because pies have never done well in the past at our office. So, I decided to sacrifice and eat the pie. Then I remembered it's the last night for dessert for a while and ate half of the pie. So...I really started my diet on Tuesday.
My beginning date is 3/30/10 at 226 lbs.
Today is 4/1/10 at 222 lbs.
I have a ways to go to get to 200 lbs but I'm working on it. I pretty much have to lose that weight because I am in a wedding in June and I ordered my pants a size smaller than what I am now. So, yeah, here I go. So far I'm on track. I should get to 200 in about a month. Then I just have to maintain it until then. Of course there will be some hiccups on the way, such as the Easter dinner that we're having this Sunday. I can't pass up that opportunity, but I have been passing other opportunities like the Easter candy and a hamburger with the bun. Of course it's been hard. I feel hungry about an hour after I eat, but I remember getting used to that in Korea, so it's all good. Anyways, keep me in check you guys and thanks for the support and advice. Happy Easter Everybody!

4/2/10
Weighed in this morning at 220. How exciting! I haven't been under 220 since my first year of marriage.

2 comments:

brad davidson said...

dude! you're doing it! let me give you some pointers about portions.

1: portion control
a chef buddy of mine told me that when he was taking his exams for culinary school he couldn't put portions on the plate bigger than a stack of playing cards, or he would fail the exam. i know that's small, but if you're eating 3 or 4 different sides in a meal, it's not so bad. in Japanese restaurants, i'm sure korea is the same way, the portions are much smaller. here in the U.S. when we go out to eat we expect to see a lot of food on our plates. we need to feel like we are getting our moneys worth. we don't need to eat all that food! yuck. and by the way, when people say that their grandparents used to eat bacon and sausage everyday and lived to be a hundred, "so why can't I?" i guarantee they ate smaller portions and ate more veggies.

back on track, you don't have to eat just three decks of cards every meal, just try not to eat 8 decks of cards. i can do it. i really don't need to eat more than that a meal. if you drink water (did you know if you are chronic dehydrated you will feel hungry?) and eat fresh fruit between meals it will be easy to eat smaller portions. it's hard to train yourself to do eat less when food is so good. when Fran and i would go out to eat we would split a plate because we expected one plate to be enough for the both of us. granted, we would order a side and eat some of what ABC left over, but it's a good guideline. so try during Easter to eat smaller parts of all the fixings. don't make as much food and don't make more food than what you need.

2: your kid is learning from you

this dosent have much to do with portions, but we've go to be an example for our daughters. is Chloe almost four now? ABC just turned two in February and she is being sneaky and learning from me all of the time. watching me do stuff and trying to copy me. i don't want ABC to pick up bad eating habits from me and accidentally teach her that eating could be recreational or something. i don't know what might happen, but i'm trying to be a good teacher. i think you'll make some lifetime habits after losing these twenty pounds that you will live by for the rest of your life.

3: eat better food

something i didn't touch on your last blog. try to eat less processed foods and read the Nutrition Facts on the packing of the food you eat. i try to look at sodium milligrams per serving. if there are 970mg in a instant noodle bowl i'll put it back, by a pack of rice noodles and make the rest myself from scratch. that much sodium makes you pee out the calcium in your bones. if you do eat that noodle bowl eat a banana afterwords so the potassium can prevent that.

fran and i use to cook out of a "one dish meal" cook book because it was easy and cheap food. the casseroles have cheese and cream and all kinds of fat in them. that kind of cooking will kill you. did you know that type 2 diabetes is caused by having too much fat in the body and it prevents the insulin from reaching the body( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_2 )the Mediterranean diet is the best thing for you. you will eat just like the food pyramid is set up. you don't need to skip a bun on a hamburger. skip the patty.

alright, i've rambled on again. i think i've just about told you all i know about food and healthy eating. i wont have anymore long sporadic comments for you to read through. i'm rooting for you man!

have you tried oat bran for breakfast?

bjtrain83 said...

Wow, how do you come up with all of these interesting facts? I am eating oatmeal now every morning. I wish I had read your comment before Easter. Too late now. But that's okay, because I burn it off pretty quickly. I do agree about setting an example for Chloe. She eats only PBJs and stuff, but her portions or so small. I don't know where she got that from, but she never finishes her meal. I hope she continues this way, but also to pick up some healthy habits. She loves green beans (without salt or anything), eggs, almost any fruit, and peanut butter. So, I'm trying to steer her away from PB, but she's a daughter after her father's heart.