Monday, February 16, 2009

Interesting Things

We are still finding out things about their culture and personalities. In church services they have a pre-worship service which is just before the service for people who come early and it's upbeat. This past Sunday they sang "Jesus Loves Me", which I found very interesting since I haven't sang that song since I was a child. Another thing is that they have their own church song. They sing it almost every service and they made it up with a tune that is familiar to them. I don't know it yet, probably won't ever know it actually since it's 3 verses in Korean. One day I think Brandy and I will be able to mumble the verses and belt out the chorus. As some of you know, Koreans and a lot of the world, are a very touchy-feely culture. Brandy experienced this early on with a samunim, but I haven't really experienced it since I hang out with Pastor Kim who is aware of American culture. But recently I've begun to experience it since I've been getting closer to most of the pastors, evangelists, and other workers. I am now greeted with hugs or they grab my arm to show their affection. Not in "I love you" in a gay way, even though that's how it feels, but in a "I love you" with God's love and I feel comfortable around you. So I take their affection with an open mind and heart because this means I'm making friends, and that's always nice. We hung out with Chun-hae, San, and Eun Young yesterday. We went to a museum for the greatest general in Korea, Yi-Sun Sin. It was more like a park with a couple of memorials around. It was really a time for San and Chloe to run around and play, but it was really cold and everybody had to run around a little to stay warm. We rode in Chun-hae's car which is like a station-wagon SUV. Chun-hae drove and I sat in the passenger seat. Brandy, Chloe, and Eun Young sat in the back seat while San sat in the very back seat which faces backwards. We were driving for about 20 minutes and only the adults were talking because Chloe was tired and San was busy in the back doing something. We were next to a big rig and all of a sudden smoke filled the car. I thought it was the truck next to us blowing smoke into the car but then I realized that all of windows were up. San was freaking out in the backseat and we rolled down our windows and Chun-hae pulled over. She opened the hatch in the back to see San sitting, his face white with powder. He had found the fire extinguisher and pressed the button facing the front of the car, which filled the car with white powder that looks like smoke. We were laughing so hard and San randomly coughed the rest of the drive. He kept saying "Oh dear, fire." It was soooo very funny. Brandy might be teaching a mom/child class for 8 weeks starting in March and ending the end of April. We're all about to get busy starting in March. I'm excited and scared, but more excited. I put some pictures up from my phone, since I don't have a camera, but I think my phone does a great job. It has some Korean food that I've eaten and other things.
Korean Food and Such

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brandon, at least it was from a fire extinguisher and not from a can of lacquer. Anyways, glad to hear that all is well in the Far East. I've been sharing your blog posts with Paul and Ryan here at the store and they have enjoyed hearing about your Korean adventures. Many prayers and blessings for you and your family.

Kathryn said...

What a great story! San is a fun and funny kid. Thanks for sharing the adventures with all of us back home... :)

NanaB said...

Hey sweetie! I just had to laugh when I saw the photos of the foods you are trying! I'm so glad that you are truly experiencing the culture, but I'm just shocked that the kid who avoids onions, peppers, mushrooms etc, would try foods I don't think I would even try.LOL! So glad to hear that everything is going well and that Brandy, Chloe & Baby are doing well. So glad you're making so many wonderful friends. Praying for you all...Love ya bunches, Mom

bjtrain83 said...

I know. I keep telling myself, "Why am I eating this?" But then I remember, there's nothing else. Plus I think I've lost 5 pounds just from what I eat, or don't eat.