Thursday, February 19, 2009

Minority Report

You don't think of a white person being a rare thing in the world because of travelers, armies, & missionaries. But I have found that although there are places white people visit, there are also those that are not. Cheonan is one of them. Constantly stared at, smiled at, and touched, I find our presence here to be a new step for foreigners of any race. Although I see no other white people in Cheonan, I have yet to see a black person anywhere. I did see one on a Korean basketball team on TV once. I actually haven't picked up on that small fact until now. We do see Indian, Malaysian, and Philippine every now and then. Last trip to E-mart, a little Indian child would not take his eyes off of us. We saw him twice in the store and whatever he was doing was immediately stopped and he would stare at us, with a little drool on his lips, until we faded into the next aisle. Things you don't think about in America. We have every race there, really the only people we stare at are our own. When people have crazy piercings, tattoos, or hairdos. Brandy isn't used to it yet, but I never really cared that much about it. I actually find it quite funny. I got Pastor Kim hooked on video games. He keeps asking me when we can play again. I told him that his wife wasn't happy last time, but he said he can control his wife. We'll see. There aren't many sports here, really just soccer & basketball. The only sport I've seen for women is volleyball, which is more popular here than in America. We actually have a women on staff who played volleyball professionally. So I've seen women here turn to instruments because there's not much else, and that means we have very talented musicians in our church. Some women major in Organ in college only to be able to use it in church, because where else would you use it? When they had a play here they used a instrument pit and not a soundtrack. They have piano solos, duets with violins, a wind ensemble, and many more. I like it. I've only seen women play the drums, so I want to step in and play a little. Show them that guys can play instruments to. Really the guys here just play guitar. So, yesterday we just lounged around the house. Brandy went out to the grocery store, a nice little walk. I'll get some pics up later with the past few days events.

2 comments:

Christan said...

Brandy.... we need to see some more belly shots!!! And I think It's cool that you guys are learning how to cook authentic Korean food!!! Good job Brandy!!

Kathryn said...

Wow. I can't help but think you guys are kind of like that orange fish in the river at the park. You're in another world and you're the only one of your color! What an experience! Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop!