Friday, April 17, 2009

And you thought you knew me

Videos: Playground Again
Tattooed Strawberries
Flower in the hair

Right when you think you know somebody, even yourself, you don't. I thought that I knew myself pretty well, but I didn't. I was at my beginner's English class and they usually provide food. Today they had an herb mixed with some dough. I ate it and it tasted okay, just like a lot of food here. Then I found out later that the English name is mug wort. The name by itself just doesn't sound very tasty, but it was okay. I tell people this story and they say it sounds like something Harry Potter would eat. Then they brought out the pizza. They really like their pizza, but I never really like it because it's covered in onions and peppers. So I usually pick out the onions and peppers and then begin. Well, the owner of Mr. Pizza, the place we ordered from, was in my class at that time, so I didn't want to pick at it like usual. I was also really hungry because I had not eaten breakfast and it's hard to turn food down from people who don't speak your language. It's an insult because you can't explain why you don't want it. So I excepted very kindly and prepared for the worst. I did pick out the peppers because they were only sitting on top. The onions are so hard to pick without being messy or noticeable, so I held my breath and ate a piece. With each crunch a sensation of shock came over me like I was being electrocuted as I sat quietly in my chair. Everyone looked at me for approval. I smiled with the "Yeah, it's great because I can actually swallow it with a peace of mind that it won't kill me and that's the only reason I can eat this now" look. They all smiled and as I finished the last agonizing bite, happy with my accomplishment of overcoming one of my greatest fears, they hand with another piece. Have you ever had to walk up a steep hill and you can see the top? You walk up to the top of that hill and you feel a great accomplishment, only to notice that it actually wasn't the top of the hill but it only looked like the top of the hill because there was this tree that poked out and made it look like that top of the hill when in fact it was only half way up the hill. Well, it might not have happened to you but it happened to me with this pizza. I kindly accepted the pizza and stared at it with great determination. I could do this, I just need a little courage and Pepsi. So I got a cup of Pepsi and tried to figure out how much pizza I could take a bite of and how much Pepsi to drink so wouldn't run out before the pizza was gone. I'm pretty good at this because I'm a Math major. But still I calculated everything very precisely because a mistake would be disastrous. Each bite was just another way to torture myself. I kept asking myself why I was putting myself through this. I could have turned down the second piece without a great dishonor. I guess looking back it was a personal triumph to help train my mind to withstand even the worst tortures just in case I was captured by the enemy, whoever that may be. I finally reached the finish line, the crust, after about two bites. I had measured the Pepsi perfectly to where I had one more sip left to wash the taste out of my mouth before eating the best part. The crust is actually really good, and reliable. There are no surprises with a crust because it's just bread. It's safe. So, I felt free and sick after eating my first pizza with onions on it. I think I'm becoming a man now. Next time I'll eat the pizza with onions without crying in a corner afterwards.

4 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

This post made me laugh out loud, honey. Too funny!

Kathryn said...

Yeah. Barry and I did, too. Ha! Thanks for sharing.

PastorBryan24 said...

This is by far the funniest thing you've ever written. Great job writing it as well. I felt like I was there eating that pizza with you. Now I have to go get the onion taste out of my mouth.

Jonathan Davidson said...

Great story! =) So are their pizza's like our pizza'a and are their onions just like our onions or are they worse?