Sunday, April 12, 2009

Settled

I'm not sure how long it's suppose to take to settle down. I think it usually takes a month or so for a normal situation, sometimes even less depending on where you move to. But we moved to a different country with a different language and nothing in our apartment except for a comforter, couch, and a table. The first month I worked at the other church and never saw my family. The second month we finally got the bulk of the furniture we needed and I started to teach. I really started to feel connected to the church through all of the people I am teaching and the bible studies I am leading. I see a lot of people in church that I know through my classes and it makes me happy to feel connected again. I'm taking a one-on-one Korean class now so I can try to communicate a little better. It's one of my students from my conversation class. So far I can say: "What's this?, Is this a ____?, What's your name?" and the answers to these questions as well. I'm learning from the book that I'm teaching English with to my kids. She translates the English part to Korean so I have something to reference to and hopefully I can teach better, knowing the Korean and English words. Of course, since it's from a kids book, the form of the words are "impolite". So everytime I try to practice, which is usually on my students who are older than me, they correct me with some other conjugation saying that what I said is fine because I know them, but it's impolite to say the other to an older person without knowing them. I thought, "I'm pretty sure I won't be practicing my English on someone I don't know who's older than me." But I didn't say that because it's impolite. So, now we're in the third month and starting to feel a little more settled. Which I think brings on more homesickness. The food we miss a lot, but the comfort of home we're starting to miss more. I feel like we're settled here but it's uncomfortable to start to settle in a place that's not home. We moved to Tenn but we still came home to visit every now and then. Plus we had friends who speak English and we could hang out with. This little apartment is only so big, and we seem to stay here a lot. I really miss going out and doing things with other people, or just going out would be nice. My time to go out is walking to Lotte Mart or the local grocery store and taking a taxi back. Or I play basketball every Saturday night in a gym that I can see from my porch. It's nice to think of the money we save not having to go far to do anything, but we don't even travel 2 miles to go somewhere. We are going to Seoul this Thursday but it's for filming. We go there to work and then we come back. I think I just need to get my Driver's License here and start to drive again. At least I can get out of here every now and then. We are so constricted by Taxi and train, that we can't see everything we want to see. I don't know, I'm not really complaining but expression my thoughts. Only a few people read this anyways, thanks by the way. I can't wait for June, but I feel extremely guilty that Brandy and Chloe aren't going. I mean if Brandy wasn't having the baby, only one of us could go anyways because we can barely afford one ticket. But if I didn't have a wedding and Brandy wasn't having the baby, I would give my ticket to her because she's the one with a huge family who really wants to see her. I have a small family that wants to see me and a lot of friends who want to see me. That's why I feel guilty, because Brandy should be the one going back to America this time. She rarely gets out of the apartment because she takes care of it and there's no reason to get out except to get out. I walk everywhere but Brandy takes a taxi everywhere and since we're trying to save money, she doesn't use the taxi that much. I don't know, we need prayers. Pray our duplexes rent out and it all works out, pray for us and our homesickness, and pray for my travels; that everything will work out.
P.S. We're not extremely homesick, it's just that Chloe misses her grandparents, I miss food, friends, and family, and Brandy misses all of the above. But we're not crying about it or anything, Chloe might be actually, but Brandy and I are fine and we're glad we're finally settled.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop, Brandon. We love you guys. Can we mail you food? I know an entree wouldn't make the trip, but there are some things that can. Lemme know!

We'll be praying...

Brandy Thixton said...

I love you, honey! And I'm glad you can go home for the wedding. You're the best.

bjtrain83 said...

I'm so glad I got a comment! 2 comments!

PastorBryan24 said...

3 comments!

I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys. But please know, we are definitely praying for you and your family. We are all very proud of you and the ministry you are doing. Sacrifice is never easy, but always worth it. Much love for you brother!

Christan said...

Brandon, we are praying for you!! I know I've only seen a few videos of you teaching, but I think you are doing an AMAZING job and I can't think of anyone who could do your job as well and with as much enthusiasm as you do!