Wednesday, April 1, 2009

nomroM

The Video: Playground Slides
So, I was playing on the playground with Chloe this past Monday and a couple Americans stopped by to use our outdoor restroom area around the playground. It's a nice facility and I would use it too if I was a passer-by since there aren't that many restrooms with such easy access in Cheonan. Well, I started talking with them once they had done their duties. They were wearing suits, name tags, and carrying bags over their shoulders. It wasn't hard to figure out that they were either Jehovah Witness or Mormon. Turns out they were Mormon. I have a friend in America that's Mormon and he tried to explain his "religion" to me, because I wanted to know what he believed, but it was too complicated. So we were having a nice conversation about America and Korea and the differences in churches and life. Then they began to share their message, of course after I told them I attended the church behind them, and said it was a lot like other religions. They believe in Christ and consider themselves Christians. I inquired about the book of Mormon because I was curious what it was about, and they showed one to me and told me it was written by other disciples. They also said they believe in the Bible, just like me. They wanted to call me and talk to me again, and I was more than glad to do that. I think they'll be disappointed though because I'm not interested in being converted. I just want a friend who speaks English. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere, because I looked up their "religion" on the internet and the differences between Christianity and Mormonism. Well, if you didn't know, Mormonism is really weird. It actually reminded me of Scientology. There were "spirit children", multiple gods, and the word of man was more powerful than the word of God. Yes they used the Bible, but only after believing the other stuff first. The Bible just fills in the gaps of their "religion" they want it to fill in. It's crazy, really, and complicated. How would someone believe something so complicated when Christianity is so easy? Believe in Jesus and let him into your life. That's really the basics of it.
The other day I was watching Fireproof and thinking of the bad things we do and how it affects our soul. We are forgiven and we get to have eternal life in heaven with God and Jesus because we are Christians. Do you know how hard it is to grasp that concept? Eternal life? No one lives forever on Earth and it's hard to imagine your soul living forever. Actually, it's hard to imagine your soul. Some invisible form of yourself, a mirrored reflection of the life you lived on Earth with or without Christ. So instead of "advertising" Christianity with Eternal Life, I was thinking more along the lines of The best friend you'll ever have. How many friends will stay with you for eternity? Many people suffer from loneliness, but with Christ you'll never be alone. I think people can better accept this more than eternal life, because it's something everyone can relate to. Then later you can throw in the surprise of eternal life. I just feel we as Christians are stuck on the idea of eternal life and being in Heaven, instead of thinking of the rewards we receive while still on Earth. Believing in Jesus gives us the reward of Jesus, the best friend you could ever have.

3 comments:

PastorBryan24 said...

Hey B

I want you to know that I can see the Lord working in your life. He is doing an amazing work in you right now. You are an encouragement to all of us. Keep seeking Him and diving into these deep issues.

Mormons, huh? I did a research paper on Mormonism in college. They believe in some CRAZY stuff. I pray you'll have some influence on them. Make them question their beliefs.

Anyway, I'm so proud of you and can't wait to see you. Take care my brother.

Brandy Thixton said...

So proud of my handsome missionary man!

Kathryn said...

Love it!!! You guys are awesome!