Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fish Cake Furniture

Life comes at you fast. Many people say that, even those funny commercials that make you say that you're glad you're not that person. Well, it's true the older you get, kind of. I think it's actually the faster you get, physically and mentally, then the faster life comes at you. When you're younger, life just seems a little slower. There are no responsibilities and you just live because your parents tell you to. When you're old, your responsibilities are limited to your physical and mental condition, and you live because you want to. I'm in the middle right now. I live because I want to and because people tell me to. So life is coming at me at the speed of light. I hear a foreign language everyday and I can only understand a few words here and there. But it's just the same as when I was in America. I just chose to understand a few words here and there. You can't hide from life or run away from it. You have to live it because you want to or because you have to for the sake of another. And the people you have to live your life for don't even know it. They're either too young to understand or they can't see what you're doing. The greatest way to live your life is to live for another without them knowing. Brandy and I love Chloe so much that we work hard everyday to give her a good life. A life that we feel is good and the best thing we can provide. I love Brandy so much that I work really hard to provide for her and be the best husband I know how to be. But do I tell them this every moment I get? Do I say that I work my whole life for their well-being? No. That is selfish and prideful. I do it out of love and love does not boast. I am beginning to see we should do the same with every aspect of our life. I talk about how many classes I teach and the hours I put into my work everyday because it feels good to get a little empathy from others around you. But, I have found that doing this doesn't fill any part of my heart with joy or give me extra energy to finish the day. This seems to only make me weaker because I reflect on how hard I have worked that day. The thought of being exhausted enters my mind and my body crumbles. So forgive me for talking about my schedule like it's a big burden on me that I have to carry because I am providing for my family. This is not true. I love what I do and I would do it even without knowing I had to provide. My yolk is heavy but my burden is light, and I know Jesus is there when I need him to help me carry the load.
Brandy had a wonderful B-day here in Korea. We had cake, candles, and the Birthday song. They don't mass produce cakes so they're all fancy little ones like this. I like the massed produced ones myself, so I had a couple pieces and left the rest for the women. I'm doing great with my classes now. In my kids' class we are beginning the book, which makes the class so much easier. Also I have instated a behavior plan which the kids are actually following and I haven't had to punish anyone yet. The mothers have stepped in too to make sure the students know their place. I always like my adult classes, beginner's and advanced, and I am always happy to teach those. My bible study is starting to unravel and show the true character's of the people in my class. It seems that I got a few of everything: new Christian's, old Christian's, struggling Christian's, sound Christian's, and then there's me. They're homework for next week is to bring a question to class. Any question about the bible, Jesus, or Christianity in general will do. So I will be forwarding these questions to all of you who have the right backgrounds for a good answer; you know who you are. Chloe is really breaking out of her shell recently and it's really great. She doesn't completely shy away from adults and she seems to get along with kids of any age. She's still the boss of whatever happens, of course. Her and Brandy attend my kids' class and Chloe's in charge of the kids, even though they're 3 to 5 years older than her. So everything's going well here and remember to live your life, instead of chasing them papers.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like y'all are hitting your stride. That's awesome! We'll keep lifting y'all up.
Barry and Kathryn

Beloved of the Lord said...

When Matthew was Chloe's age he had a fish, and when we weren't watching he put dish soap in the fish's bowl to give him a bath.
Well, the fish died. Fish don't like baths. Just thought I would warn you.